A creative network of the idea, by the idea, for the idea

Sunday, April 26, 2009

8 things I wish I had known when I started in advertising.

To save energy and to keep my mind.

I wish this post was about the corporate values my parents tough me:
Work hard, you'll get far.
Learn as much as you can, people will look up to you.
Managers know the way.
Your principles will prevail.

These are great lessons about the way the world is supposed to be. But in my experience the world rarely is the way we want it to be. The world is complex, office politics complicated and most people are just passing by.

This is why I want to share this list with you; The 8 things that would have made my life easier when I started as a creative in advertising.

  1. You are a creative. You have the best job in the world. Brainstorm, read, share ideas and have fun. Do as little politics as possible. Believe me, there is always someone above you who can take of that.
  2. The Account services dept. doesn't care about the creative idea. They care about the client, and unless the client cares about ideas and creativity, AS won't do it. Save yourself some disappointments and don't expect too much creative input from them.
  3. Look at the big idea picture. I know you worked hard to come up with cool creative ideas, but don't spend too much time defending the small stuff. Keep you eye on the big idea. You'll be happier.
  4. All agencies and all accounts are the same. Believe me, they are. Clients are demanding, the time line sucks, the brief lacks depth, the agency politics interfere with true innovation and the hard, talented workers hardly get the credit.
  5. People is what makes the difference. When choosing an agency to work for, look for chemistry, soul mates and mentors. As a creative you need to feel confident to screw up, say the crazy thing and share your soul every day with the people you work with.
  6. 20% of the people do 80% of the work. Be part of the 20% no matter what. Because you are doing it for you, your own satisfaction, your career and your principles. Don't pay attention to the 80% downloading music, playing Foosball or watching youtube. Stay focus on your work.
  7. Don't take it personal. Believe it or not, most times is not personal. Most times its mediocrity.
  8. Know what drives each department. Account services=make client happy and timeline. Finance=money. Production=Budget and timeline. Traffic=timeline and paperwork. Planners= strategy and originality. Clients=their brand. When you know their interest, you know what to expect from each one.
I hope this list of insights helps you to be a happier creative, because at the end, that's all that matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment